Tuesday, December 28, 2010

COME ON 2011!!

Thank you, God, that 2010 is OVER!

I sort of hit the doldrums in mid-November and didn't do much for the business. Did get the website up and going. www.mckimhc.com Did some networking but didn't do any cold calls or go back and visit my candy stops. Jacque and I dropped off candy jars at lots of assisted living and elder care facilities. So I need to go back and refresh the candy and shoot the breeze. And you know how well I can do that! So on January 3rd, I'm getting back in the saddle and getting going on more marketing. I know my first customer is out there somewhere!

I think I hit the doldrums somewhat because Jacque got a job. It's not a great job but it has good benefits and reasonable pay. It does take some of the pressure off of me to try to pay her some kind of salary so it's all good. When business picks up she can decide whether she wants to come back or not. But without her to keep me motivated, it was easy to slack off. Now I have to make lists with DEADLINES!

I did use the time well. Spent a lot of time doing kid stuff... birthday parties and school things. Had a great Thanksgiving and Christmas with all my kids in one place, except Randi (still hanging out in Texas.) Cooked a lot of food and probably gained weight but I'll go walking as my knees allow.

Mac is doing really well in school and we read every night for about an hour. He has to read 300 minutes a month to get a prize (free pizza!) so he reminds me if we miss a night. My boy definitely works better on the reward system. He turned 7 on December 20th.

My foster care license for Nebraska has finally been approved so I hope we get another kid soon. Someone to play light sabers with Mac! We definitely had a Star Wars Birthday and Christmas!

I sold my mom's house in Brownwood. Since she passed a few years ago, I wasn't ready to sell it. I had always thought I would go there and retire someday and it was sort of a safety net. No matter what happened, I'd have a roof and a paycheck so I wouldn't be under the bridge. But renting it and and keeping up on maintenance, taxes and insurance is just horrific. Not at all worth the trouble. So finally time to sell... it didn't sell at the price I wanted so the realtor found a good candidate for owner financing with a big down. So I did it... just a 10 year note so it should all be good. Fingers crossed.

The horses are doing fine despite what has been some pretty cold weather. They're very hairy and love their paddock mates so they all huddle up and like each other.

I was GIVEN two more sugar gliders right before Christmas! I was just cruising Craigslist and this girl had 4 listed so I sent her a note and she ended up just giving them to me with a HUGE cage so my little Ruby will have some company and a bigger house. Sugar gliders do better when they have company and can actually not flourish due to loneliness. So they're living separately for now but I will put them together in a few more days.

I have to say that 2010 has been eventful. Lost my job. Didn't find a new one I wanted. Tried to sell my house. Didn't. Decided to stalk my kids. Found a business I wanted to do. Still working on that. Left Texas for Nebraska. Bought a house. Spent ALL my 401K. Some events stunk but more were wonderful, God given blessings so I'm a happy person.

I wish all of you a hugely happy and healthy 2011!!

No comments:

Post a Comment