Tuesday, February 9, 2010

I knew it would happen

I applied for some jobs last week and this. I was vastly overqualified for most of them but I dummied down my resume and salary requirements. One was almost exactly the same job I have been doing for five years for a lot less money and they just sent a 'thanks but no thanks' note. I wish there weren't so many labor laws cause I would really like to know why I wasn't even interesting enough for an interview! Of course, they won't or can't tell me.

I knew this whole process was going to tick me off... but realistically, I know I'm a middle aged woman who has been getting paid a lot of money by most US standards.
They can hire young, overenthusiastic neophytes for much less money and I'd probably do the same thing in their shoes. However, this doesn't make me feel any better about the 'thanks but no thanks' notes. But is has helped me figure out I don't really want another corporate job!

So I'm full bore onto figuring out what I need to do to start a service related business in Nebraska. I'm leaning towards a non medical in home care for elders. I wrote to the Chamber of Commerce to see what the competition and demographics look like there.

Next, I'll start applying for the LLC. Spend a little at a time, since I have a few months until potential launch.

This will allow me to make the dang rules and I'll be the resume reader, not the resume writer!! So far the employment manual will allow casual Monday through Friday, and bring your pets to work options!

1 comment: